Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Maria on Marisa

Well, you never know what a playwright is going to be like. We met Marisa at the Burbank airport. She came out with a knapsack and a cup of coffee. She'd been on the plane from Chicago to Dallas with a layover and then Dallas to Burbank. We took her to the house and she showered. We ate and went out to dinner. Then to the real stuff…to the Victory. She saw a 'stumble thru" and we then went to work.

The next day we worked thru scenes 8-10 and I do mean we worked. I have really good focus when time is ticking and hallelujah so does Marisa. We wrangled and cut and talked and ran scenes until we were both satisfied we had what we needed. The actors were 'there' for it and contributed great work.

Sunday we worked the front part of the play and wrangled and worked and cut more. Of course with Marisa's help we found more nuances and colors.

Roby's meeting with Lila was a real stumbling point for me and finally light dawned. I realized that she could not even think about entering the family home and stood outside on the porch in fear. A great moment was born. Tara who plays Roby got it beautifully, and I felt we could move on after that.

We must have worked 9 hours that day. So Tom and Marisa and I went back to the house and drank! We joked and laughed and had a good time.

She's a great gal and I really enjoyed every minute of her presence. I think we've hooked her into coming back. She's got a real voice as a playwright, born out of her own experience and pain and love. She's easy and clear and altogether a great force in the production. Her presence was quietly dynamic and she's a real theatre person.. I miss her already.

xMaria

1 comment:

  1. Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it.
    xoxo Donna and Herb

    ReplyDelete